Birth control, contraception , and abortions

Container for all otherwise uncategorized thoughts and meanderings.

Moderator: grand_puba

thetruth1

Birth control, contraception , and abortions

Post by thetruth1 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:31 pm

Why are some against birth control and contraception and also against abortions?
I would assume anyone against abortions would naturally be for things that prevent it.

And where in the bible dose it talk about these issues?

thanks,

JSM17

Post by JSM17 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:15 am

Abortion is murder I think we are all understanding about that. Sex outside of marriage is a sin as well.

So if are talking about contraception for the married couple then that is another issue.

There is a difference between termination and preventive measures.
Did God tell us to be fruitful and multiply until we have 12 children or does God allow us to discern when we should wait and be discerning about how many kids we bring into the world.

Sex is not just for procreation, it is a gift from God to those he has joined together in marriage.
...in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power...

thetruth1

Post by thetruth1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:04 am

I think abortion is not murder.
If god didn't like dead fetuses then why is there a such thing in the world as miss carriages.
the baby wasn't born yet so he couldn't have been a bad Christian... yet
in the early times (when this was written) miss carriages were not rare and then having a child die of disease was common. If god was against was the death of young humans why did he create all that.
Some say that thats the work of the devil. Doesn't god know how to kill the devil yet? some all powerful ruler ay?
some say that is was from a witches curse, but come on now thats just silly, and medieval.
I think If destroy a fetus the life in the fetus is gone and moves on to the next fetus. the life really won't care... at all.
Some say that if you kill a fetus it doesn't have a chance to live. Well... if you were 'killed' before you were born how would you know?!? And why would you care. You can skip being saved, eating crackers, repenting your sins, and so on and go straight to heaven!! what better deal is that!

Thanks,

from your immoral, godless, sinning, going to hell atheist =D

JSM17

Post by JSM17 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:39 am

Psalms 139:13 — "Truly you have formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother's womb."

Jeremiah 1:5 — "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you."

Job 33:4 — "For the spirit of God has made me, the breath of the almighty keeps me alive."

Psalms 139:15 — "When I was made in secret, when I was fashioned in the depths of the earth."

Isaiah 44:2 — "Thus says the Lord who made you, your help, who formed you from the womb:"

Isaiah 44:24 — "Thus says the Lord, your redeemer, who formed you from the womb: I am the Lord, who made all
things, who alone stretched out the heavens; when I spread out the earth, who was with me?"

Isaiah 45:12. — "I made the earth, I created man [hominem] upon it. [Super eam-before all].

If God takes a life it belongs to Him already, He created it if I take a life it does not belong to me, that is murder.

Most abortions are taking place because of man's rejection to his law.

In fact most atheist deny a GOD because they like their sin so much that to acknowledge a GOD would mean giving up on their immorality.

Any way you put it abortion is murder, the taking of life that does not belong to you or anyone else.
...in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power...

thetruth1

Post by thetruth1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:52 pm

but why wouldn't god protect little babies from being murdered. if he cared maybe he would stop it from happening. maybe he just doesn't care, assuming that god didn't write the bible.

i like when you say most atheist think that if they stop believing in god they can sin!
i think its funny how you talk about most atheists like you know them all. Have you met all the millions of us?
but the great thing about atheists is that they are all different and individual, like every single person on this earth!

do you think im immoral though? just because im not going to be punished for my sins? you think that people only are good to each other because they are scared if they don't? the only reason people aren't going off raping thieving, lying, killing each other because they want to get in heaven and are scared of hell?
i think that is a very profound insult to the human race. the bible gets its morals from humans not the other way around.
why aren't all atheist put in jail already based on what your saying? this is a big subject, better for another thread.

i deny god with logic, thats all. if someone gave me good evidence of god i will change my mind.
i am open minded, unlike a lot of people Ive talked to.

you said that if god takes a life it belongs to him already, were you taking about miscarriages? ( maybe disease too)
if he were then why would he have the woman carry it in her womb for 9 months, just to be let down?

mummyshome

Re: Birth control, contraception , and abortions

Post by mummyshome » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:11 pm

God doesn't cause, stop or allow miscarriages or the death of a baby.
Miscarriages are usually caused by abnormal chromosome patterns in the fetus. When these abnormalities are detected, the growth is halted and miscarriage is the result. In other instances, miscarriages are caused by uterine malformations, hormonal abnormalities, problems with the immune system, chronic infections, and illnesses. After thousands of years of sin, death and personal destruction, it should not surprise us that genetic disorders would eventually become commonplace.

The Bible does not comment specifically about spontaneous miscarriages. We can be sure, though, that God has compassion on those who have suffered through them. He cries and suffers with us, simply because He loves us and feels our pain. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, promised to send His Spirit to all believers so that we will never have to go through trials alone (John 14:16). Jesus said in Matthew 28:20, “And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Any believer who has suffered a miscarriage should have faith in the glorious hope of one day seeing their child again. An unborn child is not only a fetus or a “piece of tissue” to God, but is one of His children. Jeremiah 1:5 says that God knows us while we are still in the womb. Lamentations 3:33 tells us that God “does not enjoy hurting people or causing them sorrow.” Jesus promised to leave us with a gift of peace unlike any kind that the world can give (John 14:27).

Romans 11:36 reminds us that everything exists by God's power and is intended for His glory. Although He does not inflict suffering on us for punishment, He will allow things to come into our lives that we can use to bring glory to Him. Jesus said, “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).

As for birth control; (borrowed from gotquestions.org)

Man was commissioned by God “to be fruitful and multiply” (Genesis 1:28). Marriage was instituted by God as a stable environment in which to produce and raise children. Sadly, children today are sometimes considered a nuisance and a burden. They stand in the way of people’s career paths and financial goals, and they “crimp your style” socially. Often, this type of selfishness is at the root of contraceptive use.

Contrary to the self-centeredness behind some birth control usage, the Bible presents children as a gift from God (Genesis 4:1; Genesis 33:5). Children are a heritage from the Lord (Psalm 127:3-5). Children are a blessing from God (Luke 1:42). Children are a crown to the aged (Proverbs 17:6). God blesses barren women with children (Psalm 113:9; Genesis 21:1-3; 25:21-22; 30:1-2; 1 Samuel 1:6-8; Luke 1:7, 24-25). God forms children in the womb (Psalm 139:13-16). God knows children before their birth (Jeremiah 1:5; Galatians 1:15).

The closest that Scripture comes to specifically condemning birth control is Genesis chapter 38, the account of Judah's sons Er and Onan. Er married a woman named Tamar, but he was wicked and the Lord put him to death, leaving Tamar with no husband or children. Tamar was given in marriage to Er's brother, Onan, in accordance with the law of levirate marriage in Deuteronomy 25:5-6. Onan did not want to split his inheritance with any child that he might produce on his brother's behalf, so he practiced the oldest form of birth control, withdrawal. Genesis 38:10 says, “What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so He put him to death also.” Onan's motivation was selfish: he used Tamar for his own pleasure, but refused to perform his legal duty of creating an heir for his deceased brother. This passage is often used as evidence that God does not approve of birth control. However, it was not explicitly the act of contraception that caused the Lord to put Onan to death; it was Onan’s selfish motives behind the action.

It is important to view children as God sees them, not as the world tells us we should. Having said that, the Bible does not forbid contraception. Contraception, by definition, is merely the opposite of conception. It is not the act of contraception itself that determines whether it is wrong or right. As we learned from Onan, it is the motivation behind the contraception that determines if it is right or wrong. If a married couple is practicing contraception in order to have more for themselves, then it is wrong. If a couple is practicing contraception in order to temporarily delay children until they are more mature and more financially and spiritually prepared, then it is perhaps acceptable to use contraception for a time. Again, it all comes back to motivation.

The Bible always presents having children as a good thing. The Bible “expects” that a husband and wife will have children. There is no one in the Bible who expressed a desire not to have any children.

Man made (not God made) birth control;
All forms of B.C. increase abortion. Contrary to what some doctors say, there is no such thing as a chemical contraceptive (Pill, implant) that does not cause abortion from 2-5% of the time. Although the primary function of most of these "Pills" is to prevent ovulation, they do not prevent all ovulation (people still occasionally get pregnant), so they ALL have a secondary function of irritating the lining of the uterus so that a fertilized egg will not be able to implant, and thus will abort. There are several other pills whose primary effect is to abort fertilized eggs; the IUD also does this as its primary function. Apparently, the body also aborts some pregnancies naturally at very early stages, without provocation, and all methods of mechanical prevention of fertilization (condom, diaphragm) actually increase the number of these natural abortions by perpetuating the monthly menstrual cycles, which are suspended when a woman is pregnant.

Biblical support is missing:
B.C. puts a Christian in the shaky position of Onan, who was struck dead. I Corinthians 7:3-5 gives the only reason for abstinence in marriage--Prayer and fasting, not to avoid children. Leviticus 12:1-5 and 20:18 establish a sexual pattern that actually increases fertility rather than decreasing it!

It's inconvenient: I have hardly ever heard a positive comment about diaphragms and spermicidal jelly or condoms from my friends who use them (and condoms are not highly effective at preventing fertilization anyway). There is also the cost of purchasing pills or other paraphanalia to consider.

Health problems: If you take the pill, you are five times more likely to die of circulatory disorders. The pill can also cause permanent infertility and a host of other major and minor problems. The IUD has historically caused lacerations in the uterus which result in severe pain and permanent infertility. Abortion is a serious cause of breast cancer. It is also a proven fact that the longer child-bearing is delayed, the more likely a woman is to get endometriosis. On the other hand, women who nurse multiple babies are less likely to get breast cancer.

Abortion is wrong:
An unborn child is not only a fetus or a “piece of tissue” to God, but is one of His children. Jeremiah 1:5 says that God knows us while we are still in the womb.
The Bible never specifically addresses the issue of abortion. However, there are numerous teachings in Scripture that make it abundantly clear what God’s view of abortion is. Jeremiah 1:5 tells us that God knows us before He forms us in the womb. Psalm 139:13-16 speaks of God’s active role in our creation and formation in the womb. Exodus 21:22-25 prescribes the same penalty—death—for someone who causes the death of a baby in the womb as for someone who commits murder. This clearly indicates that God considers a baby in the womb to be as human as a full-grown adult. For the Christian, abortion is not a matter of a woman’s right to choose. It is a matter of the life or death of a human being made in God’s image (Genesis 1:26-27; 9:6).

If you are single and living a life that God has designed, you will have no worries about getting pregnant as abstanance is the only God given 100% effective "birth control".