Other christian believes purgatory or mass?

What can I do to be saved? Place to discuss sin and its remedy.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Other christian believes purgatory or mass?

Post by email » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:49 am

Is there anything like purgatory and mass (making sacrificial service to God) as some christians believe's?
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Other christian believes

Post by m273p15c » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:09 pm

Thanks for the good questions!

About purgatory and mass, these traditional beliefs are generally associated with the Catholic church.

The idea of mass, as conceived by the Catholic church, is not taught in the Bible. Please see these links for more details:

http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles ... tantiation
http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles ... #sacrifice

Purgatory is also not taught in the Bible. It has many problems. First, the Bible clearly teaches that after men die they face judgment (Hebrews 9:27).

Furthermore, Jesus describes separate places of habitation following death, paradise and hades, but a great gulf is shown between them (Luke 16:19-31). And, it was impossible to cross from one side to the other (Luke 16:26). There is no temporary state or condition between heaven and hell, whereby one can suffer or struggle sufficiently to finally achieve heaven. It is simply not taught in Scripture.

Furthermore, the idea of purgatory is dependent upon the idea that man may improve his state through his works apart from God, which his contrary to the gospel's justification by faith (Ephesians 2:8-9). Also, it is based upon other traditions not taught in Scripture, like praying for the dead, etc

Since these practices are not taught in Scripture, and since they stand contrary to Scripture in many points, I would encourage you to reject them.

More detail could be given. If you have specific passages or proof-texts, which you would like to study, please let me know.

May God help us to have a sincere love of truth,

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)