Praying to the Father - or to Jesus?

Who is Jesus Christ? Who is God? Nickel for your thoughts?

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Praying to the Father - or to Jesus?

Post by email » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:56 am

1John 5:20 Whom does this verse refer to? If Jesus Christ, why do we then pray to the Father.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

larry

RE: Praying to the Father

Post by larry » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:09 pm

It appears from several good English translations that I Jn. 5:20 is referring to Christ in answer to your first question. As to your second question, there are varying opinions. Of course, Jesus Himself taught us to pray to the Father (Mt. 6:8-15). There are many passages that teach us to pray to God the Father.

But, there are a few passages that would indicate praying to Jesus Christ is also acceptable. Please read John 14:14, Acts 7:59-60 and 2 Cor. 12:7-9. These passages seem to clearly teach that praying to Christ is acceptable. Therefore, while I personally have a practice of praying to the Father, I would be hard pressed to say that praying to Christ would not be in accordance with the Scriptures. After all, Jesus now has all authority in heaven and on earth and every principality and power is subject to Christ other than God Himself.

I hope this has been helpful.

Larry
http://www.insearchoftruth.org