maybe the thief of the cross was already baptized?

What can I do to be saved? Place to discuss sin and its remedy.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

maybe the thief of the cross was already baptized?

Post by email » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:27 pm

I read your study on the thief on the cross; may I ask a question please! You say that the thief was not baptist how do you know he was not baptist; but was a person who had backslide. Because I have been study some what on this subject. I just want to know where did you find your information.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

theif of the cross

Post by m273p15c » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Thanks for your fine question based on this article:

http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles/thief.html

You are right. I do not know whether he was baptized previously or not. He could very well have been immersed previously according to John's baptism, later apostatized, and finally repented on the cross.

Personally, I have found it difficult to make that point effectively and thereby persuade others. In my opinion, I have chosen to grant the assumption that he was never immersed. Admittedly, this may be a more generous approach, but I do not want someone to feel like I have not squarely addressed their question.

This has merely been my personal approach. The approach you mentioned would be equally valid and significant in dealing with any attempt to establish the thief's conversion as a pattern for modern conversion.

Thanks! May God help us to have a sincere love of the truth,

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)